Here is Day-2 of the Graphic Design Portfolio tutorial series. If you want to pursue the freelance graphic design as a career – follow this 30-day hands-on exercise which will make you capable enough to pursue a long-lasting and fulfilling career.
Our plan at infotainmentbox.com is to continue this trend – covering the basics to the advanced level. Extreme levels will take us all where you will be thinking critically and creatively.
Day 2/30 - Freelance Graphic Design Tutorial | infotainmentbox.com [LEVEL:EASY]
Day-2/30 Freelance Graphic Design Tutorial in Photoshop | infotainmentbox.com | HOW To Graphic Design
Day 2 of 30-Day Graphic Design Training – Tutorial
Helping you create your own Graphic Design portfolio and freelance business as a designer.
- Select an Iphone – position it in the layer
- Select an airplane engine
- Make airplane layer visible
- GOTO Select —- Color Range —- with the Eye-Dropper Tool — select the screen of the Iphone
- GOTO: Quick Selection Tool: Select the White screen of the Iphone
- CTRL + Click layer of the Iphone (while the white screen was selected) : it will show an outline of the screen selected
- GOTO : Airplane Layer : Make it Visible: HIT CTRL+J —— it will duplicate the layer of the airplane using the outline selected of the Iphone —- this will cut the airplane layer
- Make the New Layer (as a result of Step 7) invisible
- Reduce Opacity of Airplane to 38%
- GOTO: Pen Tool (P): Start dotting the engine to show the extended engine coming out of the Iphone screen
- Once dotted pen tool marking is done, the loop is made, RIGHT-CLICK — Make Selection
- Make Selection (Step 11): The outline is selected —- GOTO Layers Panel and select Layer MASK (the rectangle with an O)
- Add text flavor and your Photoshop graphic design is ready.
Day 2 of the Graphic Design: makes you a little bit more smarter.
How to Freelance Graphic Design
- Upgrade your skill first. If you jump with half-baked skills, clients will lose trust from day-1
- Follow Youtube, instagram, behance.net, dribbble.com – examine the design trends
- Di-sect the design one by one
- Improve on the elements
- Once you improve the elements – compile the new design. REMEMBER – there is nothing wrong or right in freelance graphic design – either its a WOW design or just a NOT NOW design. It takes time to reach the WOW level.
- Embrace yourself, commit to yourself 6-months.
- Practice 1-new feature in designing daily
- Credit the design experts
- Make your personal channels on Youtube, Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook
- Share your designs – get critique. More the critical is critique, it means you’re in good hands and you’re on the right direction
- Last but not the least, have passion. Never let the passion die in the face of critique. Never ever lose hope on getting negative reviews.
- Every champion started as a novice – REMEMBER this.
How much to charge for freelance graphic design
If you’ve read the previous FAQ; let’s assume you’re done with 1+ daily exercise for 6 months – by this time, you will have started noticing design anomalies here and there, even in the supermarkets, on the labels
- Amateur Freelance Graphic Designers’ charges can vary – they can charge $5 to $250 for a logo
- PRO Freelance Graphic Designers usually start from $800 and above for a logo
- Middle-tier Freelance Graphic Designers can charge $300 for a brochure and a flyer
- Expert freelance graphic designers can land $1200 for a web-design (website design)
How to start a freelance graphic design business
- Rule #1: Freelance Graphic Design Business is not easy.
- Rule #2: Having your own freelance design agency requires tonnes of work and a heavy portfolio – it gets developed in 8 months to a year and a half
- Rule #3: Platforms like Fiverr.com, Upwork, Guru.com, Freelancer.com are best places to start with
- Rule #4: You should have at least 4 happy clients before you go solo
- Rule #5: Have a team handy – which is trained and matches your frequency – once you get an order as an agency, a novice trainee under you might bring a bad name – Avoid this. Once an agency goes RAW, there’s no turning back. You will have to start all over again.
- Rule #6: Your portfolio MUST stand out. The freelance marketplace is now crowded, nearing saturation. But you should aim for the 3% club.